This quiet little village is a starting point for numerous walks through the hinterland. It is set on the edge of the Dom forest and only a step away from the sea.
La Mole - (Photo : golfe-infos)
Reeds grow naturally along its valley and are used to make split cane and tongues for wind instruments by the craftmen of Cogolin. The writer and aviator St-Exupéry lived here with his grandparents during his childhood in the 11th century family castle that you can see on a hill and of which there is a description in the book "le Petit Prince". It is maybe a coincidence, but La Mole houses an international airfield.
[+] Aérodrome international St-Tropez / La Mole (International Airfield) : click here
International Airport Saint-Tropez / La Mole - (Photos : St-Tropez la Mole Airport ››)
- Regular direct links with Nice-Côte-d'Azur airport (20-minute flight from April to mid-October)
- Daily flights to Geneva, Basle-Mulhouse, Zurich, Munich, Salzburg, from May to October
- The airport welcomes most European Business airlines.
. A touch of history : click here
This small locality is set at the junction of the two valleys where the Mole and Verne rivers meet. It was already inhabited in Roman times and a number of remains of brick tombs and buildings dating back to that era can still be seen. When the Romans were chased from the site, a village was built on Sainte Madeleine hill.
A charter, dated 1008, indicates the name "Ad Molam", meaning "hand mill" (mola manuaria), originating from the presence of a hand mill workshop on the site. The names "Castrum de Mola" and "Mola" appear in 1079 - at the time, the village was the property of "Saint-Victor de Marseille" abbey.
In 1308, 48 fires had already been recorded in the vicinity of the village, which was subsequently rebuilt in the plain. In the 17th century, the village was governed by the Suffren family. In 1728, just seven families lived on the site. In 1851, the village was home to 404 inhabitants. Today, 800 people live in La Mole.
. The old village : The remains of the old village of La Mole and Sainte Madeleine church can be seen at the top of the hill, to the North, on Sainte Madeleine rock.
. "Sainte Madeleine" church : Set at the foot of a brown basalt formation, the church looks rather like a castle. It was used as a parish church in 1872, despite its difficult access and the abandonment of the old village. The church was ministered by Carthusian monks from La Verne up to the time of the Revolution, when it became national property.
Eglise de la Mole - (Photos : golfe-infos)
. The castle : Located 1 km from La Mole. This very ancient construction was first recorded in 1008. In 1770, the Boyer De Fonscolombe family bought it from the Suffrens. Typically Provençal, the castle architecture features five windows flagged by two large round towers. Antoine de Saint-Exupéry loved spending his holidays here with his grandparents (you can see the description in "The Little Prince"). The castle chapel can still be seen in the grounds. The castle still belongs to the De Fonscolombe family but cannot be visited.
. The "Canadel" pass : Altitude 267 metres. Picturesque road departing from La Mole and leading to the coast via Le Rayol-Canadel
. "Les Pradels" : Altitude 528 metres. Opposite the stone quarry, at around 3 km from the village of La Mole, going towards Cogolin. From here, a footpath leads to the summit of Les Pradels, where you can enjoy splendid views over the coast and the Maures Hills corniche road.
. "Le barrage de la Verne" : Artificial reservoir supplying the Maures and Saint-Tropez areas with drinking water all year round. click here
The dam was created in 1991 thanks to a joint effort by nine towns and is now managed by the "Syndicat Intercommunal de Distribution d'Eau de la Corniche des Maures". The reservoir attracts a number of bird species, including herons and cormorants, along with migrating birds in Autumn.
Turtles bathe in the waterfalls in Spring. Fishing, swimming and sailing are prohibited, but the site is breathtaking. Don't forget to take your camera !
"Le barrage de la Verne" - (Photos : golfe-infos)
. Randonnées au Barrage de la Verne & Promenades : click here
. Y acheter son pain :
si vous passez par le village, c'est à l'entrée en direction de Toulon, que vous trouverez sur votre gauche une boulangerie (considérée généralement comme la meilleure de la région) qui vous fera redécouvrir les saveurs du pain artisanal d'autrefois, avec toutes ses variétés.
. Niagara marine park :
California swimming pool, seven giant slides, games, jacuzzi ... Located on the road to the Col du Canadel. Open from 15 June to 15 September, daily from 10 am to 19 pm 30. click here
. Take a walk : click here
. LEADING EVENTS : click here
La Fête de la Moisson : August
August traditional Provençal celebration, music, dancing and picnic.